Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Home Is Where The Heart Is

Can I just say that I'm in a darn jolly place right now.

Not that I'd been in a horrible place but y'know, it's all sunshine and peonies right now.

I highly recommend buying a flat. If you can afford it, it probably works out in the long term to cost as much as therapy. And hey presto, you come out with an asset too at the end of the day.

Buying a flat comes with all kinds of grown up things to do, such as sorting out one's finances. Meaning like once and for all. Meaning paying off the credit card debt and keeping it off. Now that's a big one for me. I managed a cashflow spread sheet the other day. Yeah, laugh. But it was fun. Quite enjoyed it really.

Buying a flat also means spending one's own money. It's nowhere near as pleasurable as spending someone else's but obviously that's not going to happen, so my cash it will have to be. All very grown up.

And one's home is really an expression of one's self right? So there's also all that "Who am I?" going on in the background. And obviously I have no straight answer to that so my home will, purely by default, take on what I would like to think as a bohemian/eclectic/fune look/vibe/thing. Which will have to do until something more polished and refined comes along.

You know, this isn't my first property, neither is it my first renovation and decorating effort. In fact, the first was bigger, tearing down of walls and new floors and relocating entire rooms. This time around is like paddling in the baby pool in comparison but somehow it feel so much bigger and I have complete buy-in and ownership of the project. It's so scary (the debt!) but at the same time so amazingly fulfilling to be doing this alone.

I've turned down 2 social events this week to hang out with my contractor. This is the life!

No comments: