Monday, March 20, 2006

The Answers Are Not Here

Phew...what a weekend.

Actually, what a Saturday night. After 3 weeks of doing the 'home' thing, I ventured out into the sparkling urban jungle that was teeming with F1-packed bars, rum chasers and skimpy tops. Luna Bar was especially hot - I refer to the temperature - it's as if they kept the air conditioning off on purpose to up the ante of F1 'fever'. Tanned white girls may look good all glistening and damp but not so of the two Asian girls (me and Bee) standing in what must have been the hottest corner of the bar - with sweat trails running down our cheeks and oily noses gleaming despite the dim lighting. The icy cold whiskey water helped and we drank those pretty quickly. No cute men, did not meet anyone of interest.

Which is why we decided to venture out to Cynna - in search of a good time and answers to questions we can't figure out. Cynna was a blur of pumping hip hop beats, more skimpy tops and Dior handbags. Bee, Ming and I sat outside while Justin flitted in and out being the social butterfly that he is. It was hot, I was on another plane of reality and I felt like a fat girl squeezed into a skimpy top trying to be thin. More beers to numb the unbearable reality that is clubbing in KL.

After a while we had enough and popped downstairs to have a bite. Well, several actually. Did you know the restaurant downstairs has the best hokkien mee ever? It was 4am and pork is always a good idea at ridiculous hours.

It was such a relief! Why is it that clubbing is sometimes the refuge you need and at other times like a family dinner you can't wait to get away from?

On Sunday - woke up feeling awful and spent the rest of the day recuperating. Barked at my Mum at dinner time and will spend the rest of the week regretting it. Gosh, the self-sabotaging situations I get myself into!

4 comments:

wmw said...

My fave Hokkien Mee is in SEA Park. It's the corner coffee shop right opposite DUMC (former Ruby Cinema, supposedly a branch of Jalan Sultan's famous stall! They even have the Bak Kua (soup with pork slices covered with corn flour).

By the way, Kevin (AI) was less comical today , no comic relief. That's it, I think he'll be gone since he's no longer of any use! LOL!

Rafleesia said...

oooo thanks for the hokkien mee tip...i love word-of-mouth places. they are usually the best. and i love the idea of pork slices covered with flour!

sorry, i have a feeling kevin is not going home this week. it may be unlucky bucky week...

wmw said...

Drop by my blog then, I'm talking about food most of the time! LOL! Nah, not in every post but if I come across any good food, I will usually post about it.

If you are there, do a search in my blog for my latest fave joint, Lily Cenario cafe. Have some pics too.

Oh, I don't know why but that coffee shop with the Hokkien Mee isn't crowded but I like it that way! I love the Ju yau char!

Rafleesia said...

My son loves ju hu char - no actually he loves top hats - any idea where I can buy the top hat minus the filling?

Fellow foodie - drop by The Food Fanatic on my links when you r free ;)