Thursday, August 26, 2004

Act 1 Scene 2

Oh dear, what a mess.

In a parallel life, I posted an entry somewhere on the www venting my frustration at Dear Friend, whom I felt could not accept the fact that I now have new responsibilities that mean we cannot continue to do the things we used to do together. Well, in a bizarre twist of fate, Dear Friend was very accidentally referred to the said entry where she read all about how mad I am at her.

And now she is feeling sad and I feel sooooo baaaad.

As Confucius says "Them who don't know how to blog should blog in private or keep their mouths shut".

As Dear Friend said (and she is a very dear friend): I feel that if I don't call, you never will.

You see, Dear Friend and Other Dear Friends, lost me quite abruptly when I rather suddenly became with child and decided to hop on the marriage bandwagon. And then suddenly it was all about leaking nipples and midnight feeds and no longer about the latest MNG collection and parties that began at midnight. It was a culture shock to us all. I'm still reeling from it all, but for Dear Friend and Other Dear Friends, it was like burying the Party Girl and settling for her evil Psycho Stressed Out Leaking-Nippled twin.

Dear Friend, who has in fact just called and sorted out the matter, is sad beacuse things will never be the same again. There will be no more dawns when she'd have to ferry me home whilst I passed out in her car, inebriated from the night's drinking games. No more times when we'd hit the shops for the sluttiest outfits. No more long chats over the phone and no more impulsive trips out of town. No more carefree holidays together even.

And I'm especially sad beacuse my actions have resulted in my friends suffering more than I. Because my mind is filled with things that I have to do and other people I am now responsible for. I haven't had as much time to reflect on the aftermath of what my life-changing decisions have had on my close friends, as much as they have.

An old chapter closes and a new one opens. We are not descending into an impending Doom. There are no obvious dark tunnels but saying goodbye to the old and welcoming the new with open arms and heart is rarely a tearless event, especially when it comes to emotionally charged relationships, like good, old friendships.

To my Dear Friend and Other Dear Friends: Thank you for the fabulous times that I will never ever forget. And if there's anything I do cherish, which I am likely to bring to my deathbed with me, they are these.

No comments: