Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Marked Woman


I am finally going to get my tattoo done. After almost a year of huffing and puffing about it, needle will be scraped on skin.

Gasp...I'm petrified!

But one has to do what one has to do. The body is but a mere vessel is it not? One that bears the marks of our life as we have lived it. Battlescars if you wish, or little souvenir trinkets to remind us of our little trips?

No, will not have a skull or Powerpuff seared in to my skin as some have. I have chosen a couple of peonies instead. Yes, I want a section of my mid-back to resemble parts of your Mother's Straits Chinese porcelain that has been sitting in the back of your dusty cupboard for the last 30 years.

According to Datin Seri Kee Ming-Yuet in her book Straits Chinese Porcelain, the peony is :

"...the King of Flowers or 'flower of wealth and honour' and is perhaps the most esteemed and beloved flower among the Chinese. Like the orchid, it is a symbol of spring and female beauty, and of love and affection. It also stands for good fortune and nobility."

Sounds a bit like me, I reckon...(wink wink)

Datin Seri also goes on to add:

"Paired with the phoenix in numerous Straits Chinese porcelain example, the 'phoenix and the peony' os a symbol of the bride and celebrates everything that the Straits Chinese consider desirable in a bride - femininity, faithfulness to her husband, filial piety, chastity, youthfulness and female beauty."

In light of my decree nissi granted just this week, my peonies shall be blooming happily on their own without a phoenix. Which is just as well, saves me some pain.

Why, some ask. Basically, I just like flowers. They are pretty and peonies are about as pretty as pretty gets. And I like the colours of Chinese Straits porcelain - rich hues of emerald, pink and blue. And I've always wondered about having a tattoo so why not marry the ideas and have a pretty little picture on me, always? Besides, if it's going to be on my back, I will probably forget it's there half the time. And if heaven closes its gates on me because of my markings, then I'll just burn in hell with my peonies and half my friends (AND Slash from Guns 'N Roses!)

No biggie. Just do it. Pain? Oh puhleeasse...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whou, be careful with this big step. To put it simply, be ready to explain it to your grand-children!! The design is quite nice though and seems to be rather popular in Malaysia!

Good luck with that.

wmw said...

Do tell us about the whole experience and pain...if any! ;o)