Monday, May 22, 2006

The Ups And Downs of A Long-Term Relationship

When you are committed to each other, it's a given that you are in for a life of compromises. You may not like the way by which the other operates and they of you. But still, you persevere 'cos you are in it for the long haul.

Such relationships can be emotional roller coasters - pleasure followed by doldrums, shock, horror, happiness, pain.

I have been in this relationship for 10 years now and it has been trying at times. I am referring, of course, to my long term partner in pain and trustee of my fortune - Maybank.

We've been through alot together since I first opened my savings account when I got my first job back in er...1996 (don't calculate, just accept). I knew from the moment I took my first number ticket that read "589" that it was the beginning of a relationship wrought with disappointments.

Yes, there were times when it was hard - especially the time one Monday morning two years ago when I received a called from an officer informing me that my account was overdrawn. Actually, she did not inform, she yelled and like a furious mother-in-law, summoned me to top it up by noon before she slapped on any finance charges. And still I took it, despite it being the first time my account had ever been overdrawn. I refused to leave Maybank... simply because it saves me from having to cross the street to reach its black and yellow offspring ATMS - they really are all over the place - and because I derive great satisfaction from the words "KLCC branch" printed on my cheques.

But there have been good times too. The first time ever being just last week actually when a cheque I banked in was rejected because it left out my Chinese name. The lovely officer over at the Sri Hartamas branch banked it in for me when it arrived back from the clearing house, saving me a trip. See, their strategy is well thought out - treat your customers mean so when you actually do your job - not well mind you, but the act of doing it catches them by so much surprise that praises can't help but gush forth.

So just when I finally found happiness, I was quick to be robbed of it. Today, I logged online to see if my RM1000 cheque had gone through only to discover, to my shock, that my current account reflects a balance of RM-0.71! Typo error? Surely it cannot be!

I tell you - my emotions are just being toyed with for fun! How much more of this can I take before I take my fortune next door?

No comments: