Wednesday, March 01, 2006

What Women Want

I am pretty confident in asserting that the one thing most women fancy over Mr Darcy, is a pair of pretty shoes.

I am right now, typing away with my new classic black ponyskin mules on my feet and am quite convinced that I would much rather be buried with them than a life-sized doll of Matthew MacFadyen, however convincing the likeness.

There was a time, when life was overshadowed by baby clothes and bloated feet, when I thought that I no longer had any feeling for shoes. And so for many years, I settled for comfotable flats and even bought myself a pair of (I know...don't hate me!)... Hush Puppy work shoes. How strange where life takes you and tries to fool you for a little while.

Yesterday, I walked into avery dangerous place. It's called a shoe shop. Of course, I don't think shoe shops in general, are dangerous. Bata, for example, poses absolutely no threat to my safety. But Rockin Reptile in Plaza Damas is my equivalent of Frodor's Mordor.

If you get the chance, stay away (even from its website www.rockinreptile.com). I was not so lucky and managed to escape only after spending RM700+ on 4 pairs of shoes, which I daresay, priced between RM130-RM210 per pair is actually a steal - they are after all real leather/ponyskin/suede etc and are one-off designs that you will not find outside a Rockin Reptile shop (which to date thank goodness, is only one). The shop only has one pair of black shoes (which I bought) and is a fun parade of all things colourful (my other three pairs are: a green and silver pair of wedges, a pair of Mentos-green sequin leather evening fuck-me shoes and an adorable pair of burgundy and pale pink low-heeled leather pumps which I bought cos they remind me of my friend Poesy (as you can see, any excuse).

The shoes are designed by a team of in-house designers, one of them is Malaysian, and made in Hong Kong. New stuff comes in every two months and since they just got a batch in, the next batch will be in in about 6 weeks' time.

Can I just say that they are incredubly comfortable and I have not stopped stroking my ponyskin mules this morning. I almost want to take them to bed with me.

This is what happens when you are deprived. So ladies (and male lovers of shoes), do not surpress the urge to buy shoes. When you feel the need to, just splurge cos God knows what will happen if you end up like me. Look for the STarbucks, head up the outdoor escalator next to it. Pass Yogazone on the right - it's further down on the same street.

2 comments:

Rafleesia said...

i am happy to return to the dragon's lair...it is harmless to me now since i've pratically bought everything in there. dont worry i only bought my size so plenty more for you still. come...today? i am free in the avo!

Edwin Sumun said...

can your user picture get any bigger???