Thursday, February 16, 2006

Smiling In The Face Of Adversity

People believe that there is nothing of value in celebrity magazines but gossip and unflattering pictures.

But i disagree. I think there are valuable lessons to be learned from the fledging lives of celebrities, only that they are hidden and that When You Are Ready To Learn, The Teacher Will Miraculously Appear!

Flicking through US Weekly or NW Weekly or some other, I chanced upon a photo of Sienna Miller (bless her Bohemian chic), in a fantastic gown holding an umbrella in the rain. Her dress, which looked like silk to me, was splased with rain water. Her head was thrown back in laughter and the caption beneath said "Sienna Miller smiling in the face of adversity". Checking the date, I noted it was an old edition. We tend to circulate these publications around in the family for toilet purposes and by the time they get to me, they are a bit dated. I realised that the adversity referred to was the humiliating nanny scandal.

So there you go, in the face of a scandal, go out there and smile, smile, smile! Everyone will love you more for it. Of course, she had a fancy gown and glittering diamonds around her neck to cheer her up, but still she could have sat at home instead. But she didn't. Credit where credit is due.

So, last night, I picked up on Sienna's cue. Despite hearing some more rumours about my marriage and pending divorce that seem to get more ridiculous by the day, I ventured to mambo and smiled, smiled, smiled!

Not that is was that difficult. It was nice to be out. Ironically, it was raining and Sabby and I had to share an umbrella with a parking attendant. We were obviously not in gowns but in jeans. Nevertheless I had my armour on - a spanking new rose quartz around the neck soaking up all the negativity.

And funnily enough, after a while, it became kind of fun. Sabby was as entertaining as ever. Her giving a blow job to a beer bottle never fails to kill me. I actually danced - sober! It became hilarious after a while, especially when Footloose came on and I felt those groovy 80s moves come back as if they never went away!

1 comment:

Edwin Sumun said...

uh dear... the stone shouldn't be soaking up any negativity. it ought to be giving you a warm positive energy and radiating it to the many men out there who don't know what they're missing.

and god bless Scabby and her bottle. you can't teach an old dog new tricks!