Friday, February 10, 2006

Set In My Ways Already?

You know, I'm not really the type to miss home.

Never have, but am not so quick these days to say, never will.

I mean, its not exactly cool is it when you are on a fabulous holiday, skiing down the Alps in your K2s and Oakley sunglasses ('cos its too sunny and warm to wear goggles darling) and wishing instead that you were sitting in a Lucky Garden coffee shop. Eating yong tau foo and drinking soya bean. In your slippers.

The older I get (and I am not merely using these words for the sake of it...it pains me not only to sound like my parents but even more to admit that they are indeed right) the more biting I find the cold, the less I want to tolerate potatoes every night, and the more I crave comfort.

I missed the simple things about home. Like space. Being barefoot in my own home. Having skin that still resembled skin even if I don't moisturise. Literally not cracking up when I laugh.

I'm not saying that I dislike holidays. But 2 weeks is about as much as I can handle at each go. I can no longer live out of the suitcase like I used to. Drink vile local brews in the name of discovery. Or run for any more trains!

I need a break from my break. I had a fabulous time, improved my much-needed-improving-skiing, spent quality time with my Dad and step-mum, discovered the beautiful cities of Geneva and Zurich and familiarised myself with the ivory altars of certain train station toilets.

But, I am glad to be home sweet home. Cuddling ZW in bed yesterday was the best. But it's the best because I was deprived of it for a while. ANd best also because he was deprived of it for a while and did not wiggle away.

1 comment:

Edwin Sumun said...

welcome home!

i know exactly how you feel. i sometimes find myself longing for the comforts of home even when I'm in the next suburb. when I'm away, in my old as you years, it's worse. Holidays are great but there always comes the moment when you know it's time.

how we miss those younger days. however, i know these 'older' days are the best to be and to come.