Monday, October 09, 2006

Breath Of Fresh Air

Hack, hack, hack...the haze is killing us all! What does sky look like again?

I pulled away the curtain of smog two weekends ago and played under the loving gaze of blue skies and sunshine. In yet another pursuit of nature and spirit, I gathered a bunch of friends up to Gopeng, Perak where we abseiled down a waterfall and flew over the rapids and white water of Sungai Kampar. Neither activity was particularly difficult, and perhaps a little disappointing in the fear factor department, but I still had buckets of fun in Mother Nature's playground. There's nothing like mandi sungai, swinging of tree branches, being carted around like cattle in a lorry and eating damn good sambal al fresco.

Thumbs up to Nomad Adventure who do a great job of hosting adventure trips where you can customise activities of choice - combining the fun of white water rafting or kayaking, caving, high traversing over chasms, firefox, waterfall abseiling, jungle trekking and so on.

Whilst out in the middle of nowhere, we chanced upon a quaint little resthouse with rolling grounds and cute 'lil huts, called Rumah Rehat Adeline. If you close the eye that rests on the humungous waterpipe that runs alongside it, it is actually located smack in the middle of the most beautiful surroundings. There is the smell of nature, the lull of chirping crickets and babbling brook, and the invaluable feeling that lots and lots of wild, wild life out there, outnumbers us humans.

The experience is what I would akin to posing for a nude photograph (not that I have, I can only imagine). A heady sense of fear but complete freedom as you are stripped of fluff and reminded again, in your birthday suit, of whom you are and where you stand in the grander scheme of things. A mere human being in the face of far greater picture of life and art in motion. I reckon the jungle is a fantastic place to get off your face, run around naked and syiok your nerves nicely.

I wonder if it is age that's getting to me, or the city. But the need to get out of KL is getting stronger. Out of its shopping centres and night clubs and away from the 'fringe' people (people that don't actually feature in your life - but who are just there to periodically irritate you by asking probing questions like 'still no boyfriend yet?' or 'when's your next baby coming?' or the best one yet - 'do you know you have put on weight?').

My inbox these days are a reflection of my inner urge - newsletters from nature from organisations like Wild Asia and The Malaysian Nature Society.

I asked myself when I was in Gopeng, ducking my head in the face of oncoming tree branches as we hurled our way through the wilderness. Could I live out here? Forever? Could I practice what I preach? Live in a hut and feed chickens? Thing is I really don't know. But what I do know is that lately, I see through my life as it has been. I see its utter frivolity, its unnecessary frills, its man-made adventures. It doesn't mean I wish to pack up and head for the jungle but it sure has me rethinking about what really matters.

I know I rant on about this but I can't say it enough. That life is so much more than material wealth, climbing the corporate ladder, than being smarter than the next person or leading a more 'successful' life. I want my son to grow up feeling wet grass on his feet, knowing the scent of rain, experiencing the icy cold of river water, being awed by the complex hues of the sky and feeling in his bones the true greatness of the earth. Not from the flip of an Astro decoder, the pages of a travel magazine or even worse, from a lame re-enaction in a video game - but by him, first-hand, standing on top of a mountain, or looking down from a rock face or from inside the vastness of an cave in the hollow of the earth.

This is what I believe life should be.

Note: Save the rainforest! The 300,000 hectare Belum-Temengor virgin rainforest is partially located in Perak and stretches North, is 130 million years old (older than the Amazon - wow!). It's right here at our doorstep! As with every other natural or historical thing in this developing country, it's under threat, in this case by logging and deforestation. Just thought you might want to know...

3 comments:

starlight said...

wow, i never thought you of all people would want to run away from kl. but i guess we all come to that point when we tire of all the icing and want to get to the cake - the part that is real and that counts. ZW is so lucky that you've caught this keeping-it-real bug when he's still young. and then...do you think i would survive that outdoor experience? i want to come along the next time!! i think.

and next time, post some pictures!

Rarebeet said...

Thanks for the note on Belum-Temengor. I sent the link to all my friends. It really struck a chord as it was just a couple of weeks ago that my neighbour was knocking down his bungalow which should have been protected under the heritage act! As usual, we have not heard from the authorities.

Rafleesia said...

Oooh Paprika I'm so glad. You know, it's such a common sight to see old buildings torn down to make way for yet another shopping mall or condo. It only takes a blink of an eyelid witness the green of a faraway hill morph into a maze of terraced homes. Especialy as you approach Ipoh on the NKVE you are greeted by defaced limestone mounds quarried and abandoned. It's an awful price to pay for a few billion dollars.

Stepping into nature's garden made me think that while we are spending so much money trying to build high tech homes to keep cool, it happens for free in the jungle, where there's shade, cool runnig water and a breeze that just comes from everywhere.

Starlight - me thinks you would LOVE it - if you can survive an ashram in the himalayas for a month, what's a few hours in Perak??!