Monday, September 25, 2006

Foo-Liauuu!!

I finally took my climbing shoes outdoors to smear some limestone on Sunday.

I knew it would be good.

I didn't think it would be fantastic.

But, it was fantabulous!!!!!!!!!! If only there was such a word...

A bunch of hard core climbers took pity on the top rope climber that I am and permitted me to to tag along and use their equipment. Would you believe I actually went outdoor climbing without a belay device?! Time I get one methinks...

I was treated to a 5 minutre trek through hard core jungle (well, hard core for me urban person) and I say 'treat' beacuse I have been longing to get into some green for the longest time. My only comment is that I could still hear the sound of traffic from the Kuantan highway up on the wall - but I guess that's the small price you pay for fab walls within the vicinity of KL.

Nyamuk in Batu Cabes is aptly named because the mosquitos are the size of horses and come charging at you as you step off the grass of the kampung behind you and the enter the beckoning lushness. We practically smoked the place to death with mini fires, mosquito coils, insect repellant and insect spray and managed to stave them off for a while. The climbing was really really fulfilling. I started off with Orange Juice before nearly getting stuck up on In Guns We Trust (forgot to come out of a crack and realised that I had overshot the skinny exit - so had to retrace a few steps). Then the rain came down and we were forced to trek back on slippery mud.

Over fried chicken and chapati in downtown Bolton Industrial Park, the sun came out again and we decided 2 hours wasn't enough. We made it to Damai for the rest of the afternoon and I had the best fun up on AciAci Buka Pintu and another with a boulder start that I can't remember the name of.

I'm still suffering from a major high and its hardto focus on work when your mind is still outdoors. I'm so proud - I managed a 6b rating without red pointing but then again I did that top rope so its more like a 5c - 6a. I am so proud of myself for not freaking out at all - not even for a second despite the 30m high walls and very disconcerting red ants and bird shit on my hands.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.

Can't wait to climb on Wednesday, even if it is indoors.

4 comments:

wmw said...

Interesting names! Ha ha ha....I wonder if there are any named after any part of a woman's or man's anatomy(things that make you go hmmm...LOL).

Rafleesia said...

Hello you! I was wondering the same thing as you but all the names in the guide book all seemed pretty clean - like "Bangsar Babes Backdop", "Stigmata", and so on...certainly nothing that made me go "hmmmm"...I believe what happens is that the eprson first up gets to name the route. Maybe there's a rule somewhere. Either that or climbers are a pretty clean bunch :)

starlight said...

am very proud of you! and it sounds like such a blast. honestly, i had such a good time during the beginners' course, i really want to continue climbing and i'm so inspired by you, but i don't know why i'm just not doing it. i may have a whole month off in november so perhaps i'll reignite the flame then. in other words, i'm going to be tagging along with you.

Rafleesia said...

gosh how you feel abt rock climbing is how i feel abt yoga...love it but don't know why I'm not doing it! as i said, doesn't take much to get me on the rocks so i am looking forward to spending november with you!