Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Literary Update

I know I blog alot about love affairs and relationships but in reality, my life cannot be further from those subjects. Most people think I am elusive (ie. away from the 'scene') because they think I'm caught up with some bloke. Honestly, it cannot be further from the truth.

My days lately are overflowing with so much that I often find myself muttering about the lack of hours in a day. When a friend asks you out for lunch and the earliest you can plan for is mid-September, the term 'bogged down' is an understatement.

Life is Zhiwei, work, climbing, work, Zhiwei, climbing. And as of last week - reading also. If you haven't been, GO. The sale is on at The Big Bookshop on the 1st floor of Wisma Atria in Damansara Utama. Rows and rows of fiction, management books, kids activity and story books, stationery, toys, cookbooks...blah blah blah. Put it this way, if you have been starved of input and wish to make more sense in your output, here's a good place to start.

I walked up to the counter to pay. The cashier picked a book from my mountain of books and appeared confused, his forehead furrowing with lines. "RM39.90? So expensive?", he muttered to himself. He went to check the price and came back with an smile. He punched the price into the register. RM8.00.

Enough said.

I spent precious work time on Saturday in bed, on the sofa, at the dining table reading feverishly. I consumed 2 books in one day, and am still left parched for more.

I discovered Tom Robbins and am reeling. How come I have never read his work before? My God this man writes the way The Doors plays music. It's provoking, mind-blowing and God, is it sexy! I love intelligent men and I love it when they show it off! When I grow up, this is how I want to write. Tom Robbins is my American Idol. Ducks Flying Backwards is a collection of short stories, interviews, reviews, snippets of stuff he has written over the years. I am keen to have a go at his novels - I wonder what his plots are like...

Lotus Growing From The Mud (or something like that) is Goldie Hawn's novel about herself. The novel is like her, with many layers. You start off thinking how simplistic her language is and why indeed you are reading it in the first place when you have recipes to vet. But the beauty of this book is not how she writes, but really her story. Amazing,inspirational stuff that Oprah-lovers would devour like a truffle.

Then I watched Lady In The Water over the weekend. I am no horror fan and was a bit sceptical and was sooooo glad when it turned out not to be a horror after all. Not even a thriller. It's a lovely story about humanity and all the feel good stuff. Loved it to bits. Would watch it again. M. Shyamalan movies always leave a tingle up the spine no? By the way, has anybody noticed how well built he is? Mmmmm...slurp...

I climbed a trad wall yesterday - for those who don't know - it's a wall that's fashioned like a real rock wall - ie. with cracks and lines etc rather than coloured holds. It was FABULOUS and I have large bruises to show for it. Left Camp 5 feeling like a hero.

You must think it sounds like I don't have that much work if I am off gallavanting about movies and rocks and blogs. The truth is, I have. I am postitvely snowed under. If I were to work non-stop I would have to keepo going for at least a week. The thing is, despite that, I make time for me. If not, I would explode as many others do on a constant basis. I make time to do things that allow me to breathe. Yes, it impinges on work time, but hey, priorities. I need to be alive and sane, no?

Having said that, back to work...to quote Green Day, "Wake Me Up When September Ends..."

2 comments:

Rarebeet said...

I can't believe you cheated on me. How could youuuuu... Doing the trad wall without me? sniff...

Rafleesia said...

Where got cheat??! Lets do it Sat night if circumstances permit...come climbing also on Mon night