Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eye of the Storm

You know, there is so much to be said about breaks. I say breaks and not holidays because often, holidays aren't - I have been on holidays and returned even more stressed out than when I left - and breaks are. A respite from everyday, that is, a reminder of life and its meaning. Because as I mentioned before, we are all born knowing deep down.

In the last few weeks, I have travelled quite a bit - twice to Bangkok and Hua Hin. And though they have been for work, one was more like an awakening and the other, the absolute in retail therapy.

Hi, my name is Candice and I am a shopper. I admit I never fully realised the benefits of shopping until now. Snigger and pigeon-hole me all you want. There is something about raking a city's malls with a fine-tooth comb that at once exhausts the physical self but nourishes the soul. Indeed, snigger and piegon-hole me all you want.

The deep meaningful conversations I had with myself as I combed Chatuchak market were a classic. The noise and din of salesmen yelling, the burn of the sun on my freshly-tattooed shoulder, the suffocating heat underneath the makeshift plastic roofing were like the necessary conduits to hear my inner voice. Meditative peace amid the chaos?

"Oooh, love that top, let's take a closer look."

"Are you kidding me? You'd look like a housewife. Not being seen with you in that!"

"You know housewives are a misunderstood species - given alot of bad press."

"You don't say. If only people truly felt what it was like".

"The repressed few. Well, not few. A good slice of the population these days. Who fights for their rights?'

"God I expect. In salvation. Housewives go to heaven where they become men and screw women around."

"Ha...so they come back to earth then..."

Conversations like that....either the beginning of my descent into madness or elevation to enlightenment. Same thing, in essence, no?

Anyway, there is a book that I am writing as a Work In Progress. It's called Caffe Conversations. I once showed bits of it to an ex who brushed it off as cockswallop. It smarted at the time, but I giggle now at the memory. Ah well, not everyone can be a fan.

You see, I am a lover of conversations. When I chance upon a good one (with or without myself), my heart races, my eyes dilate and I am yours truly 100%. Conversations are like nights out on the town in KL. You keep having them, but none are memorable until suddenly when you least plan it or least expect it, a mother of one hits you. Like having the best fun in a really uncool bar or pulling when wearing stone-washed jeans for example.

And strangely enough, I've had the best conversations mostly in cafes or places of drink (ie. pubs). Some under the influence of alcohol; inevitably, one's throat gets dry from all that talking, but mostly sober.

So this little book is a compilation of conversations - the ones that blew my mind. The ones that I can still recall, word for word, to this day. The ones that are a bit like the little vinyasas in life, that bridge one chapter to another. Perhaps the faded manuscript shall be discovered when I die by mourning grandchildren, at the bottom of my underwear drawer, moth-balled amid tents of granny knickers. A bit like the ribboned love letters in the attic but not as romantic.

It's always good to dream. 'Cos without realising it, we make them happen. Every inch of our actions, every lift of an arm, every step in the direction, every decision made is sub consciously an effort to steer ourselves towards the heavens. Make concrete that cloud in the sky.

I know you may question my sobriety at this point. For goodness, sake, it's 10am on a Wednesday morning. I have a 4-year old to pick up from school in 2 hours. Sometimes I too forget I am a mother. I haven't consumed a drop of alcohol in 2 months, not inhaled a puff in one and not taken a bite of meat in 2 weeks. Things have never been clearer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I ABSOLUTELY remember when the idea for Caffe Conversations was conceived - I was there! Weren't we in some to-die-for cafe in Melaka, chugging down cold drinks after a hot, sweaty jaunt along Jonker Street? If you do publish the book, can i get a dedication as a fellow traveller? Hahahahaha. ;)

starlight said...

what were you two doing sashaying down Jonker Street without me???? i want a dedication as well - as the one who was cheated of the opportunity to be part of this project. but great idea and would love to read something like this. go for it!

Rarebeet said...

I'll buy a copy! Ooh can I do the cover?!

Rafleesia said...

Marisa - you were totally in my mind when I wrote the entry - in fact, we had two mind boggling conversations on that fateful trip to Melaka. The first on the edge of the smelly river re Tom Cats and the other along jonker street in a cool shady cafe playing Canto Taiwanese songs. You shall be named!

Steph - those were the days before we dropped our standards and admitted subterranean-quality writers into our elite circle. Kakakakak! I would like to iclude our convo with Alina in Hua Hin but that wasnt a cafe la...

Bee - no cakes or chocolate on the cover ya! Cof-fee!